MSU History

Follow Us on Facebook

facebook-logo-60-100-60-70
PDF Print

gables_history_2The Coral Gables, originally built in the 1920s, was known as a roadhouse, or fancy restaurant where the food was good, and the place was steeped in atmosphere. In the 1930s and '40s, the Gables' walls echoed to the music of some of America's greatest bands. Tommy Dorsey and his orchestra, Duke Ellington, Stan Kenton, Woody Herman, The Four Freshman and the Ink Spots all played here.

The Coral Gables has changed in many ways through the decades. The building burned down in 1957 and was quickly rebuilt. The big band sound changed to rock 'n' roll around 1958, with the sounds of Chubby Checker, Little Richard and the Sunliners. East Lansing was a dry town at the time, so the Coral Gables was a favorite spot for MSU students to meet and dance. Former Spartans frequently return from near and far with memories of evenings spent at the Gables, where many had their first drink or even met their future spouses.

The present-day theme of the Coral Gables has changed from its dance hall roots to a popular family restaurant with private meeting rooms.  The Gables has become a home away from home for many people because of our homemade specials, friendly service and quality food at moderate prices. We take pride in being an establishment run by the same family since 1968.

 

gables_history_3

gables_history_1

 

Our Restaurant